Tuesday, June 15, 2010

sheknows.com:10 questions with Robert Pattinson


In Eclipse, Pattinson’s Edward has grown more into his vampire skin. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse star sat down with SheKnows at the Beverly Hills Four Seasons dressed casually with a new haircut! What would Edward think?

"I didn’t even think about that," Robert Pattinson said and laughed. "Vampires can get haircuts. Can’t they?"

Robert Pattinson dishes Eclipse

SheKnows: Taylor Lautner, as Jacob, has the best line in the film when he says, "I’m hotter than you." How badly did you want a comeback line?


Robert Pattinson: [Laughing] There’s nothing you can say. "Yeah, you are!" or "At least I’m not hotter than you!" I don’t know. Yeah, it was quite fun. Jacob has quite a few catch phrase type of lines, with me especially. For some reason, I find it quite funny when I’m doing stuff with Taylor.

SheKnows: You get to work with Taylor Lautner more in Eclipse than in the past. Although you are at each other’s throats, so to speak, working with Taylor more closely must have been a nice change.

Robert Pattinson: There are a couple confrontational scenes, where I push him around a little bit, and I thought I’d really scare him and grab him, and it would freak him out and turn the whole scene upside down. Then, I grabbed his shoulder and it was too big to actually get a grip on, so I just dropped my hand [laughs]. It was embarrassing. I got him badly, though. He kept having to dress up in a little gray spandex wolf suit and try to be intimidating with Kristen patting him on the head. That was quite fun.

SheKnows: You and Kristen Stewart bring so much to any film you’re working on, how does your process differ when preparing for Eclipse and frankly, the entire Twilight Saga?

Robert Pattinson: For some reason, I can’t understand anything and I think I’m going really into the depth of the character, when it just seems so obvious to Kristen. Her mind works completely differently. She can just feel things immediately, and I like to be more cerebral about things, in completely the opposite way of Kristen. I don’t feel confident unless I know more about the reasons why I’m doing things. I don’t really do that for other parts. That’s what I do for Edward.

Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart: The obsession

SheKnows: Do you two understand why there is an obsession about whether or not you and Kristen Stewart are dating in real life?

Robert Pattinson: No, not really. Well, I guess people like stories. My basic conclusion is that they just want everything to be about Twilight.

SheKnows: You were on the first soundtrack and when we spoke for the first Twilight, you felt you could no longer go and do amateur music nights. Have you been able to play much anymore and will we see you on the Breaking Dawn soundtrack?

Robert Pattinson: I’ve done a couple of things. I’ve always just been playing around. It was nice to be involved in the first one. I just saw Twilight on TV, for the first time, a few days ago, and when my song came on, I was just thinking that is so bizarre that I actually had a song in the movie. I’m amazed Catherine [Hardwicke] did. It really shows how none of us thought it was going to be so massive. I never thought people would buy the soundtrack. So, it’s a little more nerve-wracking now. I don’t know. Maybe.

RobPat cuts his hair!

SheKnows: We can’t help but notice you’ve cut your legendary hair. Any plans to incorporate the new short look into Edward’s persona for Breaking Dawn? 

Robert Pattinson: I’m thinking maybe Edward got a haircut. That might be easier. But, yeah, I didn’t even think about that when I got it cut. That is a bit silly. Vampires can cut their hair. I like the idea of Edward having a shaved head in the last film. That’s pretty cool.

SheKnows: There is a new director for each of the Twilight films. What unique perspective did David Slade bring to Eclipse?

Robert Pattinson: I guess he was really fighting to make it not so solemn. In my eyes, Edward has been so calculated and everything is not rash, and David wanted to speed up the whole thing and make him more vulnerable.

SheKnows: Is it difficult for you as an actor to work with a new director when you guys kind of have a well-oiled Twilight machine?

Robert Pattinson: It’s interesting. With the first Twilight film, everyone had very specific ideas and everyone was butting heads the entire time. Then, when Chris Weitz came in for New Moon, he basically came in with the opinion that he liked the first one and he liked what the actors were doing, so he just followed along that road. Then, when David Slade came, he was like, "I want to do everything completely different and not like the first two. Let’s just do something completely different," which is good because then it’s challenging. It’s easy to get stagnant, if you play the same character. In New Moon, I felt like I was going a little bit deeper. And then, with Eclipse, I felt like I was doing a completely different movie and a completely different character.

Robert Pattinson: Edward versus Jacob

SheKnows: We love the scene in the tent with Edward and Jacob talking while Bella is sleeping. That’s where Jacob gets the "I’m hotter than you" line, but seriously, how was it filming that important scene while Kristen Stewart was just supposed to be sleeping?

Robert Pattinson: The first time we did that tent scene, I was really freaking out. I don’t know why. I think it had to do with claustrophobia because we were actually shooting in a tent. I just couldn’t get it together. I kept forgetting my lines and I was so nervous. I just wanted to punch anyone who was near me. We did about three takes and Kristen was supposed to be asleep on the floor, and she saw that I was freaking out. Halfway through the take, she suddenly opened her eyes and was just staring at me and kept trying to make me laugh.

SheKnows: Vampires, because they are dead, are accused in this film and across film history, as not having a soul. Do you think Edward Cullen has a soul?

Robert Pattinson: Yeah, definitely. I can’t remember who said it, but a soul and a heaven must exist because good people aren’t rewarded enough on earth. I always liked that idea, if that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment